If you are planning your next adventure in Iceland – this post is very likely to inspire you :). Iceland is one of the most unique and iconic destination in the world. In one country, there is almost everything you can dream for. Wild nature, hidden waterfalls, spectacular views with a mix of sceneries and colours as you keep on exploring. As a result this country attracts more and more travellers and photographers. Luckily for you it means that there is a lot of content ready to help you to plan your itinerary.
It is crucial to plan carefully your road trip, especially if you have only a few days ;). So we gathered a couple of video to give you an introduction to Iceland. Not yet decided where you want to go? Hopefully this post will help you to decide which areas to explore. If you are planning a trip of less than one week in Iceland, check out our complete itinerary for a 5 days road trip.
Then we also added a couple of links to some travel blogs. You can use them to help you define your itinerary for your road trip. It will also give you some tips on how best to enjoy your trip. We like learning from the experience of other bloggers to discover some hidden gems. Sometimes it is also really useful to avoid some mistakes when you plan your itinerary.
Below are some videos we really like (updated in December 2020) :
- Stefan Forster – Element of Iceland – 4K
- Gaëtan Piolot – Nothern Islands 4K – Drone – Faroe, Lofoten & Senja
- Edgar Granados – Amazing Iceland 4K drone footage
When you are planning a one week itinerary or less, each day counts. You wish to plan as best as possible. Those different links should help you to answer different questions. For example where to stop? What to see? What are the unmissable spots for each day etc.
We listed some of our favourite blogs about travelling in Iceland (updated in December 2020):
- Jess Somewhere – advice to plan your 5 days trip.
- Renee Roaming – wild Iceland – 15 days road trip with numerous photos.
- Let’s fly somewhere – travel photography and post on the West of Iceland.
- We are travelling girls – a dozen of posts to prepare your trip in Iceland. For example, one to explain how to see the Northern lights and one with the most instagrammable places in Southern Iceland.
- Twobluepassports – 2 parts itinerary – one for the Golden circle and one of the South coast.
- The Blonde Abroad – different posts including some tips for travelling Iceland on budget
- Travel with a spin – How to spend a day in Reykjavik, what to do ?
We also bought the Michelin travel guide book – Iceland the essentials. I really enjoy reading the Michelin travel guide. It lists the must see and key highlights of a country. There is also a lot of information about the country. For example, about its history and its economy, when to go, money and budget, practical information etc.
To sum up, we hope this post will help you to organise your first exploration of Iceland. Don’t hesitate to send us some links if you want to complete it.
More Iceland travel inspiration
- Complete itinerary for a 5 days trip – How to organise a 5 days road trip itinerary in Iceland?
- Is Iceland expensive? How to plan your budget for a 5 days road trip?
- Why you should add the Blue Lagoon to your itinerary? – Everything you need to know about the Blue Lagoon, Iceland